Friday, November 25, 2011

Keeping Hope Alive

I read an article in USA Today written by Joyce King, a freelance writer, on the topic of keeping hope alive in this tough job search market.
In tough job search...
Funny enough, I was in this tough market 2 years ago; myself, my friends, quite a few people in my city, so I understand this market.
I also understand her point, that some people simply give up after receiving rejection after rejection. Personally, I am not a quitter, and I have 2 kids to raise, so it is unlikely under any circumstances that I would give up. What are the options at that point? Become homeless? Beg? Live on welfare? I do not see any option which seems reasonable or acceptable FOR ME.
Then I notice, there are jobs available on the market, still. Not desirable jobs to me, but jobs.
I recently read another article on jobs Americans won't take. I think there is an interesting correlation between the two articles. One, there are jobs out there. Yes, the market is competitive, even for the shitty jobs that no one wants, but as an alternative to being hungry, who has the audacity to turn down anything?
The problem with this entitled country and it's unemployed population is their perception of their self.
Yes, when I lost my job, I initially only looked for jobs with salaries in the same compensation range which I was accustomed to. I had the savings and the credit to be choosey at that time.
A year later, I had to lower my standards a bit.
Finally, 18 months, 2 maxed out credit cards, and an empty savings account later, I just had to apply for anything and everything that came along. Whether I was qualified or not.
Whether it paid dollars or stones, I needed a job.
I had to reevaluate my system of applying process.
I had to rethink how to get back on the train (the money train that is).
I had to decide how to start over and reinvent myself, for the benefit of my family.
So, when the opportunity to get my foot in the door at my current company showed up. I took it. I did not care that the beginning salary was one fourth of what I was used to. I did not care that I would work doubles to simply pay rent and eat. I did not care that I had to wear a uniform and be treated like crap by masses of people who have no manners and think customer service agents are peons on the chain of life. The same people I stood with, two years previously, with my disdain for customer service work. My arrogance had finally caught up with me.
This was the best thing that could have happened to me. Not only to be forced to swallow my pride and step off my high horse, but to have to work from the bottom up... all over again.
Honestly, I put a smile on every day because I realized this was the opportunity I had waited for my entire life. It wasn't about the money. It was about re-learning to be humble. It was about treasuring every penny. It was about learning to budget little, to no, money. It was about having pride, regardless of title. It was about learning to grow all over again.
I reminded myself every week for 18 months that while my grandmother worked her way through nursing school, she scrubbed toilets; worked as a maid - something I would never do,  to attain her goals. She did whatever it took. And this kept me focused.
I could see a great future with this company. It didn't matter where I started. I knew there was growth and opportunity ahead of me, and I just needed to batton down the hatches and dig my heels in and take it.
Here I am two years later, making twice as much money, loving the transitions I have made in the company, and still seeing a future brighter than any. The money has come, and it will only get better, but what I've gained that is even greater, is  the experience of knowing that I will never give up. I will never lose hope, and I have what it takes, when the going gets tough.
When Americans figure out that no one is giving them anything in life that sometimes they have to work for it, from the bottom up, they will find a far clearer picture of a positively rewarding future.

No comments:

Post a Comment