Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sixth Sense

“When one is pretending, the entire body revolts.” ~ Anaïs Nin


This is the sixth sense I have tried to alert people to for the last 43 years of my life. Even as a child I knew when something was wrong; when people were different.
I knew when my father was lying, I knew when my mother was uncomfortable, I knew when my Nana was withholding information from me. For whatever reasons, when people find themselves avoiding (or disguising) their natural responses, their body reacts, and IF you are paying attention, you will see it clearly.

Women love to talk about their intuition. Why do we discuss women's intuition and not men in the same context? I believe it has something to do with the innate need to nurture. I have female friends who never notice anything about the character of other's. When I try to point out a strange behavior, or a weird incident, they are always surprised, "You think so!" Always. So, intuition isn't designated to women, and it isn't limited from men.
Naturally, women are more inclined to care about the feelings of others and want to take care of people. Whereas, men tend to be more concerned with gathering food and fire - the natural tendencies of man. Men are quite capable of this intuition when they pay attention, sit and analyze, or evaluate, but many tend to find it less important.

"When one is pretending" - it is such a simple statement. When one is pretending to care. When one is pretending to engage. When one is pretending to love. When one is pretending alliance. When one is pretending loyalty.
The body is one's own worst enemy in light of discovery.
Common signs such as sweating, enlarged pupils, or a fast heart rate are easily detectable. Even the police and criminal agencies use those telltale signs to weed out "pretenders". But it's the small, unnoticeable signs that most of the public would never pick up on, but those who know you intimately smell before it's even released. The slight eye movements, the rubbing of one's face, the slight pause in answer which usually does not exist. Is women's intuition nothing but the sociological observations of the one(s) they love?

My son lied to me the other morning and it wasn't the small lie that struck me as eye-opening, it was his smirk. The tiny smile as he let the untrue words slide out of his mouth. The "I'm about to get away with something" grin which reminded me so much of my father that I felt physical distaste for my son in that moment.
People seem so surprised to be discovered. I always respond, "because you don't think I know you, because you don't think I love you enough to notice, because you underestimated my feelings for you...you did not think I would notice the difference."
Your underestimation of people in the world, and their capacity for love is what keeps you from the most open and gracious relationships in your lifetime. When you free yourself to believe that that love exists for you, you will stop being surprised when it shows up.

3 comments:

  1. Kabbalistically speaking, the feminine soul vibrates at a higher frequency, which is why most women (and many men who have a more feminine soul) are more "spiritual" than men (or women with a more male soul). We all have a sixth sense...it is just that some of us are more tuned-into it than others. Sometimes I don't trust my "intuition," but I wish that I always did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats the irony. When our alarms go off and we ignore them, (because we seek honesty in others), we get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to laugh. I love the psychology of Intuition. I've always wanted to know what other people think. Not like Sookie in "True Blood" but to be able to read a person thru the signs they give off: thru words , actions, body language etc...It helps cut thru the bullshit really. Let me know where I stand. If you're not real, don't waste my time.

    ReplyDelete